Monday, April 30, 2012

Hebrews 13:8


"Not only do we not know God except through Jesus Christ; we do not even know ourselves except through Jesus Christ." Blaise Pascal

As I embark on my final month in Tanzania my mind has begun wandering to the life awaiting me at home. Last semester I spent much of my time being introduced as “Erin Pham, the girl who’s going to Africa.” I also introduced MYSELF as “Erin Pham, I’m about to go to Africa.” With a combination of excitement and desire to talk about Tanzania constantly, and the hope for the conversation to open doors and lead to another way to share the gospel, my semester in Tanzania quickly became my identity to many. The girl who wants to do missions, the girl who loves going abroad, the girl who is headed to Africa.

Identity is something that is constantly changing. I’m a student, Tanzanian Resident, girlfriend, American Citizen, Razorback, Pi Phi… the list goes on. However, the one thing that will not change is that I am daughter of the most high God.

I can place my identity in my Tanzanian residency, but in 31 days that will be uprooted and my identity will be forced to change. I can place my identity in my student occupation, but in a few years that will make a drastic shift and I’ll be left waving goodbye to the identity I crafted for myself.

When I touch ground back in the States I will no longer be able to call Tanzania “home.” I will no longer drive to my house in “Kansas City” for the comfort it once offered. I will no longer be “one of the girls who lives at ‘The Dock’.”

I will, however, be His. I will rest my identity in Him, and let the rest fall into place.


Yours Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment